What to Expect at Rehab
Getting to Sunrise House
Most people coming to Sunrise House fly into Newark Liberty Airport (EWR), located roughly 50 miles away (about a one-hour car ride).
Sunrise House employs a small team of drivers who can coordinate to pick up patients from Newark Liberty when they arrive. Sunrise House can also facilitate transportation to the facility from destinations that are 2 hours driving distance away or closer.
We are unable to provide transportation to patients flying into JFK or La Guardia.
Your First 24 Hours in Recovery Treatment
Upon arrival at Sunrise House, you will be greeted by a receptionist who will gather any medications and insurance information needed and tag your luggage.
You will then meet with a wellness nurse to determine whether any medical or psychiatric stabilization is needed. Once this determination is made, you’ll meet with a doctor and counselor for a medical and psychiatric evaluation that will help us create an individualized treatment plan tailored to your needs.
You will then begin your treatment track. For some, the first step will be medically supervised detox from drugs or alcohol; others, such as those who completed detox in another facility, may bypass this step and immediately begin residential treatment.
If you are seeking only outpatient treatment, a receptionist will meet with you and assign a counselor. You will work with your new counselor to develop a treatment schedule that works for you.
What to Bring to Rehab
We recommend bringing the following items for your time at Sunrise House:
- At least a week’s worth of casual clothing. Visiting family or friends may bring you more clothes should you find you need more items. Laundry facilities are available on-site.
- Toiletries (toothbrush, hairbrush, deodorant, etc.). All toiletries must be non-alcoholic. For example, no alcohol-containing mouthwash will be allowed into the facility.
- Small amount of spending money for snacks.
- Books and other reading material.
- Cellphone/laptop/other small electronic devices. You are permitted to bring electronics; however, you will not be able to use them until you’ve completed detox.*
Traditional and e-cigarettes, as well as other nicotine or tobacco products, are permitted but must be unopened at time of arrival.
* As part of a new program being integrated into the Sunrise House curriculum, patients will partake in the cellphone detox program, which seeks to leverage modern technology as a vital tool in recovery. Sunrise staff will walk the patient through the tutorials of a variety of recovery apps and help them identify possible triggers lying in wait on their phones.
What NOT to Bring to Rehab
Sunrise House asks that patients not bring food to the facility. Our chef provides all meals, and there are several vending machines dispensing snacks, non-alcoholic beverages, and gum. Sunrise House’s culinary staff can accommodate varying dietary needs and restrictions (e.g., gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, Kosher, Halal, etc.)
Other items that are not permitted include:
- Large electronic devices, such as televisions or gaming consoles. Televisions are not permitted in rooms.
- Any opened toiletries, tobacco products, or foods. These will not be permitted onto the premises.
- Revealing clothing.
A Typical Day in Rehab at Sunrise House
Psycho-education session or lecture.
Curriculum group, where you’ll learn skills you need to maintain your recovery.
Primary group therapy.*
Recreational time (rest, work out, read, eat dinner, etc.)
Reflection session (mindfulness and discussions about material learned during the day).
*Many different groups are available and will be provided based on your unique treatment needs.