Addiction Treatment and Rehab Resources in New York State
Drug overdoses in the United States rose to a record high of 93,331 in 2020.1 This is the largest single-year increase since 1999.1 In New York, it is estimated that over 1.9 million state residents struggle with a substance use disorder.2
For those in the grips of addiction, there is hope. We’ve created this guide to assist you in finding the help you need. Read on to learn about rehab facilities, how to choose an alcohol or drug rehab center in New York, statistics on addiction, and additional resources for those seeking help.
Finding Addiction Treatment in and Around New York
Finding addiction treatment does not have to be challenging. In fact, there are 460 drug and alcohol treatment centers within 25 miles of New York City alone.3
When choosing a treatment center, take some time to understand what each facility offers and determine if they can provide you with the services, amenities and accommodations you need.
- Provides medical support through acute withdrawal.
- Ensures safe substance detoxification through the withdrawal process which can range from uncomfortable to life-threatening.
- Patients are medically monitored and given medications to alleviate symptoms and prevent complications.
- Staff monitor and assist patients 24/7.
- Patients participate in individual, group and holistic therapy sessions.
- Patients receive treatment five days per week for approximately six hours a day.
- Patients attend in-depth treatment and therapy at a facility for several hours a day, five days a week.
- The structured program offers patients support in their sobriety, guidance in building life skills and may include holistic therapies such as yoga, meditation or fitness classes.
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP)are often a bridge between inpatient treatment and outpatient therapy.
- IOP typically requires more hours per day and days per week than standard outpatient treatment (several hours per day, several times per week).
How To Choose a Rehab Facility
It’s important to take some time to reflect on where you will go to receive treatment. Choosing the right facility for your needs will improve your chances of achieving sobriety for the long term. That’s why, in addition to treatment types, there are other factors to consider when deciding on a rehab treatment facility:
- Amenities offered. If you will be undergoing residential treatment, you’ll want to be sure you select a facility where you’ll be comfortable and can relax in your downtime. Sunrise House Treatment Center offers many rehab amenities such as indoor and outdoor recreational areas, private and community spaces, a fitness center, and nutritionally balanced meals.
- Location. Some who seek treatment would like to begin their treatment journey with a fresh start in a different location. For those interested in receiving treatment outside of New York, Sunrise House Treatment Center provides addiction treatment in New Jersey, a location far enough away from triggers at home but close enough for loved ones to visit.
- Insurance. If you plan to use insurance for addiction treatment, you’ll want to check to make sure the facility you choose accepts your insurance provider. If they do not, or you don’t have insurance, ask the facility to work with you on other ways to pay for rehab.
You can quickly and easily check your insurance coverage with our .
New York Addiction Statistics
The National Survey on Drug Use and Health reported 13.25% of adults over age18 in the Northeast region used illicit drugs within a one-month period during 2018-2019.4 (The Northeast region consists of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont). Additionally, 27% of that population reported binge alcohol use within a 30-day period.4
Between 2009-2018, there were 3,233 drunk driving fatalities in the state of New York.5 What’s more, deaths from unintentional drug overdoses rose 37.02% in January through August 2020 when compared with that same time in 2019.6
The impact of substance use disorder is far-reaching and affects not just individuals but families as well as entire communities.
More Addiction Info and Resources Around New York
Begin rebuilding your life today so you can start to create a better tomorrow. Addiction rehab is the first step toward a brighter future.
For more information and additional resources in the area, consult the following:
- Guide to the Northeast US Mental Health & Addiction Rehab
- Yonkers Drug Rehab Guide
- A Guide to Rehabs in Baltimore
- Elizabeth, NJ Rehab Programs Guide
- A Guide to Drug Rehab in Maryland
- A Guide to Rehabs in Philadelphia