Pennsylvania Addiction Treatment Options and Local Info
In June 2021, Pennsylvania became one of four states to partner with a nonprofit national organization dedicated to ending addiction.1 For Pennsylvania residents struggling with addiction, this initiative, along with the availability of drug and alcohol rehabs in PA, offers help and hope for a brighter, substance free future.
Types of Drug and Alcohol Rehab in PA
Because everyone’s situation is unique, the type of treatment that will prove most effective for an individual varies. There are more than 570 treatment facilities located throughout Pennsylvania offering residents the opportunity to find one that’s right for their needs, and there are many more in surrounding states for those willing to travel a little bit outside their immediate area. Sunrise House Treatment Center, located in Lafayette Township, NJ, is one such facility that has been a trusted treatment provider in the Northeast for many years.
You’ll find as you research rehabs in and near PA that there are many different levels of addiction treatment available at various facilities, including:
- Detox. The journey to sobriety often begins with some form of detox. Some facilities offer only a supportive environment in which to undergo withdrawal, while others have a medical detox program where doctors and nurses provide medications to help patients through the withdrawal process. Sunrise House offers an inpatient medical detox to ensure patient safety and comfort.
- Inpatient treatment. Those undergoing inpatient treatment for addiction live at the rehab facility where they are expected to attend therapy groups, counseling, drug education classes and abide by facility rules. Inpatient treatment provides much-needed structure to counteract the chaos of addiction.
- Outpatient treatment. Patients who attend outpatient treatment reside outside the facility and attend treatment during the day. Outpatient programs vary in intensity and number of treatment hours per week and are tailored to suit an individual’s needs.
- Aftercare. Continuing care after rehab is an integral part of maintaining long-term sobriety. An aftercare program may include a patient attending support group meetings, establishing a recovery network, and may include a substance-free sober living facility. Facilities such as Sunrise House will often begin aftercare planning on day 1 of treatment.
How to Choose a Drug and Alcohol Rehab
It’s important to take the time to find an addiction treatment facility that provides the types of addiction treatment that address all of your needs. There are many factors to consider when researching facilities, including:
- Amenities. Rehab amenities and activities are a valuable part of a treatment program, so you should consider what is important to you. For example, you may want to look at accommodations, indoor and outdoor community spaces, a gym or fitness center, dietary needs and more.
- Location. For some, staying close to home while attending treatment is important. Others find it beneficial to leave an environment and people who might present a challenge to them maintaining sobriety. Sunrise House Treatment Center provides addiction treatment in New Jersey at a quality facility for those who wish to attend treatment away from home.
- Insurance. Health insurance will often cover a portion of addiction treatment. If you have health insurance, it’s important to verify that your provider is in network and accepted at the rehab facility you choose.
Does Health Insurance Cover Addiction Treatment in PA?
The Affordable Care Act expanded coverage for mental health and substance use disorder, but how much coverage you have and where you can use it will depend on your plan. If you plan to use your health insurance to pay for treatment, it’s essential to make sure the facility accepts your provider’s coverage. If you don’t have insurance, you’ll want to determine if the facility offers financing options or other ways to pay for treatment.
You can quickly verify insurance coverage for addiction treatment by using our
How To Get Admitted to Rehab and Start Addiction Treatment
It can be reassuring for a patient to know what to expect in addiction treatment. Admission at an addiction treatment facility is pretty straightforward and you can usually anticipate some form of the following process:
- Begin by finding a treatment facility and verifying your insurance coverage or financing options.
- If you’re traveling to another location, coordinate your travel plans. At Sunrise House, facility staff can work with you to help you travel to the facility.
- Upon admission, medical personnel will perform an assessment to determine what type of treatment and therapy will prove most effective. This is based on several factors, including substances misused, quantities used, duration of addiction, any co-occurring disorders such as depression or anxiety, motivation for recovery, and more.
How Common Is Addiction in Pennsylvania?
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) compiles data on a yearly basis regarding substance use disorder and treatment statistics nationally. Between 2018-2019, they reported the following statistics regarding Pennsylvania adults over the age of 18:3
- 11.34% reported using illicit drugs within a 30-day period.
- 27.06% indicated they had binged alcohol within a 30-day period.
- 7.31% had been diagnosed with a substance use disorder.
- 5.10% said they needed but did not receive treatment for alcohol use.
More Addiction Info and Resources Near PA
For more addiction information and resources in and near Pennsylvania as well as in the region, we recommend the following regional guides: