NYC Addiction Treatment and Substance Abuse Statistics
This guide will help you learn about treatment options and the cost of addiction treatment in NYC and surrounding areas, plus offer helpful resources so you can take the first steps on the road to recovery.
Find Treatment Near NYC
Choosing an Addiction Rehab Facility Near NYC
Receiving treatment for addiction begins with choosing a rehab facility. Because the type of treatment you receive is critical to your long-term sobriety, it’s important to choose an addiction treatment center that suits your needs. Take some time to review several facilities to determine which is right for you.
There are more than 460 alcohol and drug rehabs within 25 miles of New York City.2 While your options are many when considering addiction treatment centers in and around New York City, it is beneficial to concentrate on a variety of factors. For example, if you are addicted to opioids, does the facility specialize in treating opioid addiction? Other details to consider include:
- Amenities offered. There are treatment centers that offer indoor and outdoor recreational areas, private and community spaces, and specialized programs such as art and music therapy. Rehab amenities such as these can bolster your comfort and increase your sense of satisfaction with your program.
- Location. Some who seek treatment find it beneficial to travel out of state to attend rehab because it removes them from people and surroundings that trigger risky behaviors. Sunrise House Treatment Center provides addiction treatment in New Jersey for those interested in receiving treatment outside of New York City.
- Specialized treatment programs. Many facilities offer specialized programs to better assist patients. Sunrise House Treatment Center offers a veterans program as well as other specialized programs for specific groups, such as young adults or those in the LGBTQ+ community.
How Much Does Addiction Treatment Cost in NYC?
The cost of receiving addiction treatment in or near New York City is determined by a wide range of variables:
- Facility location.
- Duration of treatment.
- The level of addiction treatment you need, whether that’s medical detox, residential treatment, or aftercare planning.
- Your insurance coverage or the payment method you use.
- Whether the facility is in or out of network with your insurance provider.
- Facility amenities and activities.
- Medications administered.
Health insurance is a great way to access affordable rehab. To use insurance for addiction treatment in New York or nearby states such as New Jersey, it’s important to make sure the rehab you choose accepts your plan. If they do not or you don’t have insurance, most treatment centers will work with you to find ways to pay for rehab. That might include scholarships, loans, or payment plans with the facility itself.
You can immediately and confidentially check to see if Sunrise House Treatment Center accepts your insurance by using our .
Are You Struggling With Addiction?
Local Addiction Stats
NYC Addiction Info and Local Statistics
Between 2018-2019, the National Survey on Drug Use and Health reported 13.25% of adults over age 18 in the Northeast region (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont) used illicit drugs within a one-month period.3 Additionally, 27% of that population reported binge alcohol use within a 30-day period.3
In Bronx, Kings, New York, Queens, and Richmond counties combined, there were 142 fatalities linked to alcohol-impaired driving between 2015-2019.4 In those same counties there were 4,216 overdose deaths between 2017-2019.5
These trends mirror the outcomes happening across the entire country. Fortunately, addiction treatment programs have become increasingly accessible with the expansion of insurance coverage for substance use and mental health disorders. If you are struggling with addiction, hope lies in treatment.
- Northeast Treatment Guide
- New Jersey
- New York
- Washington, D.C.